The Nedbank running club would like to remind all athletes of tips to stay healthy and stay ahead of the Covid_19 outbreak that is affecting the World right now and has been deemed a pandemic by the World Health Organization
The first examples are standard issue safety precautions:
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. When soap and running water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands that are visibly soiled.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
In terms of training during this time, remember to train alone and not in groups of people as we need to all practice self-isolating and being in groups of people increase the risk of being infected.
Exercise & Immunity & Care
1. Regular physical exercise is good for your general health, weight management, boosting your mood and your immune system against the virus
2. Too intense or overly long sessions lower your defenses. This can increase your risk of being infected so keep training at a low intensity and duration
3. Make sure you eat healthy and take supplements to boost your immune system. Our sponsors Future Life as well as Biogen have an extensive range that can keep you at tip top shape during this period.
4. If you feel any of the symptoms, such as fever, dry cough, fatigue, shortness of breath, sore throat, go to a Dr immediately. Do not take any paracetamol as a preventative measure as this can mask your symptoms such as a fever and make you unaware of your infection. It is also forbidden to consume any anti-inflammatory drugs, cortisone or aspirin as this has shown to make the virus stronger.
Dehydration increases the risks of the virus so please ensure that you always stay constantly hydrated. It is especially important not to wear extra clothes whilst running in order to sweat more thereby increasing the risk of dehydration.
The Nedbank running club urges all members to take note of the above, practice good hygiene at all times, eat healthy and supplement to make your immune system stronger and stay safe.