The annual Mandela Day Marathon took part once again over the weekend, albeit this time without live tv coverage, however that didn’t shy away a competitive field that assembled.
With a R50 000 bonus for a new course record up for grabs, Lesotho athlete Teboho Noosi went out hard together with individual Ethiopian athlete Muhajr Sraj. Behind them a big pack formed which consisted of Nedbank RC athletes Thobani Chagwe who was the current course record holder as well as Lebenya Nkoka and Wondwosen Mamo who were biding their time.
As the race made its way past the halfway mark, the trio of Mamo, Chagwe and Nkoka tried to reel in the early leaders but ran out of ground as Sraj held on to take the win in a new course record with Mamo finishing 2nd in 2:27:44. Behind him, Nkoka and Chagwe finished in 5th and 6th respectively with the latter extremely happy with his performance.
“I may not have won today but I am so happy with my run today because since 2014 when I won here and set the course record, I’ve been back every year and failed to finish due to injuries,” said Chagwe after the race. “I have had a very good season this year and aim to continue it. They may have broken my course record, but records are meant to be broken! I will come back next year and try run even faster.”
In the women’s race, Nedbank running club Ethiopia’s Selam Alebachew was going for a 4th win but also found herself falling short finishing 2nd in 2:54:25, still a great effort on the very tough course.
The Petro SA Marathon was also run over the weekend and there were some very fast times run. Nedbank running club Zimbabwe athlete Ngodzinashe Ncube ran his best marathon to date, running a World Champs qualifier of 2:14:15, finishing ahead of teammates Isaac Mpofu (2:15:10) and Tsepo Ramashanpole (2:16:54) giving the Nedbank running club a podium sweep, something of the norm in recent races.
In the women’s marathon, Nobukhosi Tshuma running in her debut marathon took the victory in 2:43:15 finishing just in front of Nedbank running club teammate Ethel Sibanda who ran 2:45:05.
The accompanying half marathon saw very quick times as well with Nedbank running club athletes Misheck Sithole (1:03:28) and Annie Bothma (1:16:58) taking the men’s and women’s titles respectively.
The Nedbank running club wishes the South African team participating in this weekends World 50km championship all the best!
Mandela Day Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
2. Wondwosen Ketema Mamo (Nedbank RC Eth) 2:27:44
5. Lebenya Nkoka (Nedbank RC) 2:28:46
6. Thobai Chagwe (Nedbank RC) 2:28:52
1. Mbongeni Sosibo (Nedbank RC) 2:57:57
WOMEN (Same prize money as men)
2. Selam Abere Alebachew (Nedbank RC Eth) 2:54:25
1. Sbongile Ziqubu (Nedbank RC) 3:47:56
1. Joel Mmone (Nedbank RC) 66:07
1. Rutendo Nyahora (Nedbank RC Zim) 77:14
2. Sibusiso Nzima (Nedbank RC) 30:35
Petro SA Marathon, 21,1km & 10km
1. N Ncube (Nedbank RC Zim) 2:14:15
2. Isaac Mpofu (Nedbank RC Zim) 2:15:10
3. Tsepo Ramashanpole (Nedbank RC Les) 2:16:54
1. Lindile Tokota (Nedbank RC) 2:40:02
3. Selwyn Losper (Nedbank RC) 2:50:53
1. Elias Letlape (Nedbank RC) 3:28:08
1. Daniel Hlongwane (Nedbank RC) 3:45:30
1. Nobukhosi Tshuma (Nedbank RC Zim) 2:43:15
2. Ethel Sibanda (Nedbank RC Zim) 2:45:05
2. Tabitha Tsatsa (Nedbank RC Zim) 2:58:32
1. Annetjie Botes (Nedbank RC) 3:24:53
2. Mariette de Haan (Nedbank RC) 4:43:04
1. Misheck Sithole (Nedbank RC Zim) 1:03:28
2. Lloyd Bosman (Nedbank RC) 1:04:18
1. Annie Botha (Nedbank RC) 1:16:58
2. Rudo Mhonerwa (Nedbank RC Zim) 1:17:56
2. Melissa v Rensburg (Nedbank RC) 37:59
HALF MARATHON WALK
1. Anel Oosthuizen (Nedbank RC) 1:49:08
2. Mariaan van Zyl (Nedbank RC) 2:26:58
3. Jackie Calitz (Nedbank RC) 2:32:41
GBS Mutual Bank Mountain Drive Half Marathon
2. George Ntshiliza (Nedbank RC) 1:16:20
3. Anele Maliza (Nedbank RC) 1:16:31
1. Anele Maliza (Nedbank RC) 1:16:31
2. Melikhaya Kepe (Nedbank RC) 1:20:11
1. Mzukisi Klaas (Nedbank RC) 1:29:14
2. Thembinkosi Mdyogolo (Nedbank RC) 1:37:05
2. Terri-Lynn Penney (Nedbank RC) 1:44:18
1. Terri-Lynn Penney (Nedbank RC) 1:44:18
3. Toegeda Vyver (Nedbank RC) 1:53:31
1. Grizelda Pietersen (Nedbank RC) 1:50:47
Assupol John Korasie 30 km
5. Vakalisa Kopolo (Nedbank RC) 1:53:17
1. Vakalisa Kopolo (Nedbank RC) 1:53:17
1. Andrew Cooper (Nedbank RC) 1:59:14
3. Mason Cranswick (Nedbank RC) 2:07:03
4. Tanya Posthumus-Fox (Nedbank RC) 2:16:56
Supa Mama Savages Half Marathon & 10 km
1. Mziwenkosi Mjaja Nedbank AC 1:13:13
1. Siyabonga Ngidi Nedbank RC) 40:10
Chatsworth 10 km Challenge
1. Zama Mokoena (Nedbank RC) 40:21
PPC Riebeekberg Marathon (34th), Half Marathon & 10 km
1. Zanre Joubert (Nedbank RC) 4:18:26