Athletes from the Nedbank Running Club (NRC) dominated at most major races over the past week, taking more than 40 podium positions countrywide.
With the Comrades Marathon a month away and therefore less and less long and ultra distance races on offer, it seems it was the shorter distances in which NRC athletes proved their dominance.
No less than 6 podium positions went to the NRC at the recent UCT Memorial 10km held in Rondebosch. Siviwe Nkombi took the Men’s Open race in a time of 31:22 while Mthandazo Qhina took the Veterans race in a time of 32:07. Teammates Anneline Roffey (41:10) and Amy Abrahams (41:46) finished 2nd and 3rd respectively in the Women’s Open race. Veteran Busisiwe Matiwane (43:01) clinched first in the 40-49 Category.
More great results came at the SPAR Grand Prix Series 10km in Port Elizabeth where the NRC ladies took 5 podium positions: Patience Murowe 3rd in the Women’s Open race, Bulelwa Simae 1st in the Veterans race, Mariette Hattingh 3rd in the Masters race, Margie Saunders 1st in the Grandmasters race and Ronelle Steyn 2nd in the Great Grandmasters race. Excellent running from all these ladies, especially seeing this race annually produces a very competitive field.
At the Safari Half Marathon in Wellington Mthandazo Qhina clocked another great run placing first in the men’s Veterans race with team mate Thembelani Zola taking 3rd position. Fortunate Chidzivo placed 3rd in the Women’s race with
Bulelwa Simae placing 1st Vet and 4th overall.
At one of the biggest races in Gauteng over the weekend – the Colgate 32km & 15km held in Boksburg – the NRC ladies flew the flag high with Mnganiseni Emmah Mathibela taking 1st place in the Women’s Open category while Master lady Ansa Strydom finished 2nd Master. Teammate Pele Ntshikundamolema finishing 3rd Men’s Great Grandmaster.
UCT MEMORIAL 10 KM, RONDEBOSCH, 6 MAY
1. Siviwe Nkombi (NRC) 31:22
5. Mthandazo Qhina (NRC) 32:07 (1st Vet)
1. Mthandazo Qhina (NRC) 32:07
2. Anneline Roffey (NRC) 41:10
3. Amy Abrahams (NRC) 41:46
4. Madele du Plessis (NRC) 42:36
5. Busisiwe Matiwane (NRC) 43:01 (1st Vet)
1. Busisiwe Matiwane (NRC) 43:01
2. Coriaan de Villiers (NRC) 43:33
SPAR GRAND PRIX SERIES 10 KM, (WOMEN ONLY),?PORT ELIZABETH, 5 MAY ?
3. Patience Murowe (NRC/ZIM) 34:17 ?
4. Rudo Mhonderwa (NRC/ZIM) 34:21 ??
13. Rutendo Nyahora (NRC/ZIM) 36:02 ?
1. Bulelwa Simae (NRC) 37:29 ??
3. Mariette Hattingh (NRC) 43:42 ?
1. Margie Saunders (NRC) 42:38?
2. Ronelle Steyn (NRC) 60:54 ?
SAFARI HALF MARATHON & 10 KM?WELLINGTON, 1 MAY
Note: According to reports, several athletes found the 10 km to be short according to their GPS watches, and using the Race Time Bias (RTB) formula devised by Ken Young of The Analytical Distance Runner, which compares runners’ times in a race with what one could expect them to run based on their most recent performances, this seems to be confirmed -- in fact, the route seems to be far short of 10 km. Using fifteen time comparisons, the RTB factor is -7.88 sec/km, well over the maximum allowable figure of -5 sec/km. These times can therefore not be used for statistical purposes. The 10 km has also been found to be short in previous years, so remains under suspicion.
1. Mthandazo Qhina (NRC) 1:12:14
3. Thembelani Zola (NRC) 1:21:31
3. Errol Cunnama (NRC) 1:42:11
3. Fortunate Chidzivo (NRC/ZIM) 1:21:08
4. Bulelwa Simae (NRC) 1:26:36
2. Bulelwa Simae (NRC) 1:26:36
3. Busisiwe Matiwane (NRC) 1:35:05
1. Obertina Kanyongo (NRC/ZIM) 1:33:20
1. Vakalisa Kopolo (NRC) 31:59
2. Emmanuel Makutu (NRC) 35:24
4. Chantel Simpson (NRC) 41:22 (1st Vet)
1. Chantel Simpson (NRC) 41:22
CHECKOUT CHALLENGE HALF MARATHON & 10KM, DURBAN, 6 MAY
4. Bonginkosi Kubheka (NRC) 30.26
6. Sithembele Faneko (NRC) 30.40
10. Sipho Hlatshwayo (NRC) 31.17
1. Senzo Nkwanyana (NRC) 74.00
2. Dumisani Motaung (NRC) 74.29
3. Senzo Miya (NRC) 81.44
Open Men Team prize
Senzo Nkwanyana (NRC) 74.00
Nkosikhona Fihlela (NRC) 74.29
Dumisani Motaung (NRC) 77.48
Senzo Miya (NRC) 81.44
COLGATE 32KM & 15KM, BOKSBURG, 6 MAY
4. Joel Mathusane (NRC) 2:06:45
1. Mnganiseni Emmah Mathibela (NRC) 2:19
7. Sunette Schoonraad (NRC) 2:43
2. Ansa Strydom (NRC) 2:50
4. Caroline Prinsloo (NRC) 3:04
3. Pele Ntshikundamolema (NRC) 1:21
OUTENIQUA MARATHON (32ND), HALF MARATHON & 10 KM, GEORGE TO WILDERNESS, 28 APRIL
1. Andre Bernardo (NRC) 3:32:05
2. Davera Magson ?(NRC) 3:14:36
3. Cecilia Nel ?(NRC) 3:32:33
1. Mariette de Haan (NRC) 4:27:50
1. Lloyd Bosman ?(NRC) 1:12:21
1. Anna-Marie van Eck (NRC) 2:37:39
1 Godwin Heyns (NRC) 33:00 ?
2 Donovan Jantjies ?(NRC) 33:10
3. Gerswill Jacobs ?(NRC) 33:58
1 Christiaan Lingerveldt
2. Stephany Pedro (NRC) 43:31 ?
3. Anastasia Plaatjies (NRC) 47:37 ?
1. Johanna Claassen (NRC) 48:09
1 Stephany Pedro (NRC) 43:31